Can’t believe it’s been a year since we launched the first edition of Edible Issues. And if you’re reading thanks for making this happen.
Speaking of new beginnings, we now have a new home.
We’ve launched our website (finally) and are taking bigger and bolder steps towards figuring out and exploring the Indian food system. We will continue to need all your support!
Check out the website and tell us what you think? https://edibleissues.in
Before you read everything, an announcement:
We’re moving our newsletter (with curated news articles) to twice a month. You will still hear from us every week (either about the interesting people we’ve met and interviewed or something we’ve been working).
We’re continuing our discovery mission across India in 2019 and would love to hear more about you if you’re a person/company working towards the Indian food system in any way.
Until then, let’s keep the conversation going.
Anusha & Elizabeth
‘This Land Is Meant Only for Saffron. Without It, It Means Nothing.’ : Eater
The most expensive spice of India might very well be counting its days as climate change takes its toll on violence-ridden Kashmir. Read this beautiful, investigative article by Sharanya Deepak and team.
It takes more than half of India’s minimum wage for a nutritious diet: Down to Earth
India ranks 50th in the list of 52 countries in terms of access to nutritional food with respect to minimum wages.
🥗Health & Nutrition
– Non-obese & lean Indians might also be prone to type 2 diabetes: Study
– Children who eat school lunches have shown to have better learning outcomes.
– This startup is looking to make corporate snacking clean again, with its latest funding.
– Here are the 5 agri-tech startups on Gastrotope’s latest cohort.
– Apple lines (the traditional apple growing areas) shift in the Himalayas.
– Scientists have developed a biodegradable film from lotus stem starch which may be used in edible packaging materials and food coatings.
– Move over drones, Zomato says hello to bicycles for food delivery.
– Shuttl, bus aggregator enters into the food delivery space.
– Swiggy is looking at capabilities of AI in videos with its latest acqui-hire. Its latest foray is also in the hyperlocal delivery space.
CHAI AND PAKORAS
Premji-backed iD Fresh Food bets big on its coffee decoction biz
Travel beckons coffee and not just any but filter coffee, says iD with its new travel decoction packs.
The flavoured salts of Uttarakhand
A few pahadi women are spreading the joy and benefits of these micronutrient-laden herb salts.
This “Green” masala brand is helping students manage their waste
Suhana Spices and its brand new waste management park in Pune is making people realise that food can be grown anywhere.
How the automobile industry drove cuisine in Chennai
How did Japanese & Korean food spread across Chennai? This article has answers.
Discovered this via the internet and like what you read? Join our newsletter! Subscribe